Glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin have both been used for many years to support joint cartilage. Especially glucosamine sulfate has shown some impressive research stopping further cartilage degeneration in osteoarthritic knees ( Reginster JY, et al. 2002, Pavelka K, et al. 2002).
The following study investigated another area of interest, the association between regular consumption of glucosamine and chondroitin on overall and cardiovascular mortality (King DE, Jun Xiang J, 2020).
The researchers found that use of glucosamine and chondroitin were associated with a 39% reduction in all-cause mortality and a 65% reduction in cardiovascular mortality.
An earlier study which included 77,510 participants aged 50-76 years also showed very interesting results (Bell GA, et al., 2012).
The use of glucosamine in this research with or without chondroitin was associated with a significant decreased risk of death from cancer and with a large risk reduction for death from respiratory diseases.
According to this, glucosamine seems to be more effective than chondroitin. 1500 mg daily is the required dose.
Bell GA, Kantor ED, Lampe JW, Shen DD, White E. Use of glucosamine and chondroitin in relation to mortality. Use of glucosamine and chondroitin in relation to mortality. Eur J Epidemiol. 2012 Aug;27(8):593-603.
Pavelka K, Gatterova J, et al. Glucoseamine sulfate use and delay of progression of knee osteoarthritis. A 3-year, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Arch Intern Med, 2002; 162:2113-23.
The BMJ Formula is different from other formulas because it contains:
- Calcium and other minerals scientifically demonstrated to support bone formation.
- Minerals in a form the body can easily use (not all forms of minerals are equally effective).
- The building blocks of cartilage, which supports collagen formation.
- Natural substances to reduce inflammation without the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Vitamin B6: research shows that vitamin B6 and magnesium may help prevent kidney stones.
- Vitamin D3 is important for your body to use calcium, and for many other functions.